Monday, February 8, 2016

Fwd: God is Great and I am awkward

From: Hannah Fouts
Date: Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM
Subject: God is Great and I am awkward

People of the world! How has your day been? What was the coolest thing you did? That's so neat! You are the most cool! 

Let me tell you all about this week. It was, in the words of the lady we shared an elevator with this morning, a looloo. I think that means doozy or crazy or wacko. Take your pick! 
So on Wednesday we got a text at 3 from the young women's leader asking if we were set to be in charge that night. Nope...but with the help of the Spirit and poptarts, we had the best young women's night EVER. The spirit was so intense! All of the young women came (apparently everyone knew we'd be there but us) which never happens, and P. was there! We talked about missionary work and how great it is, and then we had them practice. P. even did it, and it made me so happy to hear her introduce herself as "a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!"  Then we went out to find people, and the guy we talked to spoke Spanish so Sister Landaverry took the reigns after I tried to introduce us and failed miserably. Turns out he's a member, but lost the church after he moved from El Salvador 3 years ago! HOW COOL IS THAT?!? SO COOL. 

What else? Oh yes. Why I'm awkward. Well, lots of reasons, but the main one is one night I was so tired and locked the door like always. The next morning when we went to leave the apartment,  we couldn't find the keys ANYWHERE. We tore the place apart, nothing. we prayed, and I thought maybe they were outside. Like, I'd left them in the lock last night. So we tried to unlock the door to check, and WE WERE LOCKED IN because the key was jamming the lock. Sure enough I'd left it out there like the dummy I am. So we had to call the elders to come get us out and I've never been more embarrassed in my whole life. They thought it was hilarious and I almost cried and I've never been happier to live in apartment building full of very old very nice people! 

Also a blind dog sat on me while I was trying to build a shelf for one of our investigators and it wouldn't get off of me and it was so awkward. 

Some good quotes from the week:
"He's in the hospital? Did he get stabbed again?" -in a condescending voice, from Elder Jeppson while on the phone with someone
"You must have the wrong number." -literally every number that people we talked to on the street gave to us when we called it
"My name is Kevin! You can call me Jamaican K.. And when you find someone you want to marry, you'd better bring him by to meet me first so I can approve." -Jamaican K. we met on the street
"I love you! Come to my house at 7 on Saturday. I will feed you. What's your favorite kind of juice?" -E., the Haitian lady we met on the street

Oh another thing that happened! While I was introducing us to E., SPANISH CAME OUT and I could not get my Creole to work! Sister Landaverry is ruining me! But it's okay because she's still the best, and Emma thought it was funny. Life goes on. 

Here's the thought for the week!

The gospel of Jesus Christ
is the plan by which we can become what children of God
are supposed to become. This spotless and perfected state will result from a steady succession of covenants, ordinances,
and actions, an accumulation
of right choices, and from continuing repentance"

So that's a super cool quote from Elder Oaks. I love it! How cool is that?! I don't know why it looks like that, just go with it. Basically, through following the gospel plan of having faith in Jesus Christ, changing our actions and our hearts to be more in line with Him, making and keeping promises with our Father in Heaven, and listening to the Holy Ghost, we can keep progressing and becoming the person that God has in store for us to become. Solid! 

Well I love you all and hope you rock this week into outer space. Hopefully that made some sense, just go do some great stuff and always love life! 

Love ya!

Sister Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment