Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Fwd: Did Merida eat caviar? Um yesss

From: Hannah Fouts
Date: Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Subject: Did Merida eat caviar? Um yesss

Hello my people!!

CHRISTMAS WAS THIS WEEK!!!! How fun is that?!?! The answer is THE MOST
FUN!!!! It was sort of white because it was SO foggy. I got to talk my
family, cute grandparents, and favorite Brooke and it was just the
best! We were in two nativity recreations. In one we were the
narrators and in the other we were singing angels and it was
magnificent, thanks for asking! Also in one the Baby Jesus was a cat
named Van Lapis. Go figure.

We went to lots of people's houses and ate lots of food and it was
glorious. We went to 2 Haitian parties where we were the only non
family members and also the only white people and it was great! I
really love akra, which is basically dough that's been fried to death,
but it's not a scone because it's spicy ish and way better. Also
griyo, which is pork that's also been fried to death. But I'm good to
stay away from the pikliz, which is basically coleslaw of death. New
favorite Haitian foods for sure! One Sister we went to visit didn't
have anyone to spend the day with, so we surprised her! It was super
fun! We sang songs and played some of her 30+ guitars and just had a
grand old time.

Okay. Here is the craziest thing that has ever happened ever. Are you
ready? We got leftovers from a member who works at a restaurant. It
was seafood, and anyone who knows me knows I do not have a good
relationship with seafood. But I ATE AN OCTOPUS. Not just part of an
octopus, a real live (we don't know if they cooked it or not) octopus.
IT WAS PURPLE AND STILL HAD ALL 8 LEGS WITH THE SUCKERS STILL
ATTACHED. I know because I counted. And I chewed it and swallowed it
and didn't throw it up. It's a Christmas miracle!!!! I could see its
little face. Ugh. Nasty.

In other news, we went to see B.J. McQ and she had moved the
day before. What the heck. So we're going to be calling her until we
find out her new place of abode and get her to the missionaries in GA.
We've found some really awesome people this week who seem really
interested and committed to learning more about the gospel! Hopefully
they respond to our texts.

Also today I shot a bow and arrow, it's fine.

For my thought today I wanted to share something from a dear book
called "Adjusting to Missionary Life." It talks about dealing with
stress and has the driest sense of humor I have ever had the pleasure
of experiencing. One section says something to the effect of "think of
the worst possible outcome. If it's something you can live with, or
something the Savior can help you overcome, then move forward without
fear." Um yes hello. You can actually live with anything except death
of you, because unless it kills you then you're living with it. And if
it kills you, then the Savior can help you overcome it because
resurrection!! At first you're like, uh thanks a lot, adjusting to
missionary life, you're the worst. But then you think about it, and
you're like, woah! It's actually pretty true! Thanks!
I know the Savior lives. I know that by Him and through Him, we can
accomplish any righteous thing. When we humble ourselves and align our
wills with His, miracles will happen in our lives and in the lives of
those we love. I'm so thankful for the chance I had to spend this
Christmas in the service of my God. I love you all!! I hope you have a
wonderful week, and the happiest of Independence Days!!!
๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡น (who needs New Years when you can just be Haitian
instead?)

Love,
Sรจ Hannah Fouts


แง

No comments:

Post a Comment