Monday, October 12, 2015

Fwd: So hobos are fun

From: Hannah Fouts
Date: Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM
Subject: So hobos are fun

This week has been SO GOOD. We taught 22 lessons! Wow, so many lessons!
Also we got a new investigator named A and we are best friends. He
is a hobo and he lives at the library and he reads lots of books and
does lots of drugs but as of Friday one of the many books he's reading
is the Book of Mormon. When we met him it was pretty funny. We were
talking to him and he wasn't too interested, but he gave us his dad's
number. I don't think he actually likes his dad, but hey! We still got
a referral! One of the things he's looking for in his religious quest
is the purpose of life. Ding ding ding! He said, "no living breathing
creature on this earth, human or animal, can tell me why we are here
and where we are going." I raised my hand and said "I can!" And then
he laughed really hard for a long time and then we set a return
appointment. Good stuff, my friends! At the next lesson we talked more
about the meaning of life, and it was so cool. I love helping people
realize they're children of God! I think that's the biggest gospel
truth hats the easiest to forget. But if we remember that were Gods
children and He loves us, then literally everything else about the
gospel makes sense and if it doesn't, it's okay because He loves you!
Also it makes it ten billion times easier to keep all the
commandments.

Something I learned this week: Dont talk about Halloween with
Haitians. Last week we were in a lesson win one of our investigators
who's so close to baptism, and at the end Sister Wheeler asked if she
was excited for Halloween. She got super concerned and at the lesson
this week, she was like, "I've been thinking about what you said last
week about Halloween. You really celebrate that? That's an evil
holiday." We tried to explain that we just trick or treat and carve
pumpkins, but Halloween = voodoo in Haiti apparently. Awkward.

Some advice: stay away from Taco Bells "quesurrito." That's all I'm
going to say about that. That thing is straight up nasty.

Transfer calls came this week! I'm staying in Lynbrook (which is
Brooklyn flipped, how fun is that?) with Sister Wheeler for another
transfer. Huzzah!

I had a Haitian tell me "ou pap janm pale Kreyol tankou moun Ayisyen."
Which is "you'll never speak Creole like a Hatian." One day, N,
one day!

P and G came to church again and we almost have a date set
for baptism! P was talking about serving a mission and said she
just hopes she doesn't go somewhere too hot. So fun!
Some of my favorite New Yorker quotes of the week:
"Who hypnotized you?" - an tiny old man we talked to.
"I probably shouldn't come to church smelling like (insert illegal
substance here), right?" - my hobo friend
"I want to get closer to Christ, and I know God sent you two girls
here to help me do that." -L the cat lady
Basically New York rocks and so do all of you! Don't ever forget how
much Christ loves you.

Cool thing I realized this week: we can receive
forgiveness for our sins through missionary work and through temple
work, which are actually the same thing. We need to do temple work!
It's so incredibly important! Elder Richard G. Scott said,
"Do you...want a sure way to eliminate the influence of the adversary
in your life? Immerse yourself in searching for your ancestors,
prepare their names for the sacred vicarious ordinances available in
the temple, and then go to the temple to stand as proxy for them to
receive the ordinances of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. As
you grow older, you will be able to participate in receiving the other
ordinances as well. I can think of no greater protection from the
influence of the adversary in your life."
So that is a super cool promise and I'm thinking you should all try it
out. #eliminatetheadversary2k15
Haha I thought that hashtag was funny, hopefully you chuckled a little
bit. But seriously. Do it.
Have a great week, zanmi m! M renmen nou anpil!
Love,
Sè Fouts

No comments:

Post a Comment